This is a fairly easy dish, but not a fast one. Set aside at least an 1.5 hours for this. 10 minutes to prep, another 15-20 minutes to caramelize the onions (this is a very important step that should not be skipped), and the last 45 minutes or so is cooking. It is delicious, it is healthy, it is vegan and/vegetarian. This easily makes enough for 4-5 people.
- 1.5 cups green lentils
- 3 Cups chicken or garlic broth
- 2 cups spring water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large chopped carrot
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 large or 2 small onions
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small potato, diced
- 1/2 fresh lemon
- Cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Finely dice or chop the onions, add to a Dutch oven or heavy pot with the olive oil with the salt. Caramelize until brown but not burned
- Add in chopped or finely diced carrots and celery
- Rinse lentils and add to pot with 3 cups of broth and the 2 cups of water, cumin and pepper.
- Add 2 bay leaves, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer.
- Add in 1 small potato diced.
- Cook until tender.
- GENTLY blend or mash a SMALL portion to thicken with a potato masher or hand blender.
- Serve with fresh chopped cilantro