A staple of Italian food is the roasted red pepper. You will find it in salads, antipasti, as a topping on entrees, etc. It is very simple too, and beats the ones you find in a jar with preservatives.
- Whole red bell peppers (you can use any color, but these are the most commonly seen with a mellow flavor)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt
- fresh garlic, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Rub the whole pepper with olive oil, sprinkle with salt.
- Place in an oven-proof dish and cook until you see it start to char as seen above.
- Remove, place in a clean brown paper bag to steam for about 30 minutes
- Remove from the bag, remove as much of the charred skin as you can.
- Place in a clean dish with fresh olive oil and sliced garlic to marinate.